Sunday, July 13, 2008

A great example

There was a time when I used to resent King David. Yea, that David. He was a shepherd, slayer of Goliath, King of Israel and ancestor of Jesus.

A number of years ago I was in a men’s Bible Study where a few of the guys really liked David and talked all the time about how great he was. I didn’t get it. I just thought Davis was arrogant because it seemed like he did whatever he wanted and he abused his powers as King.

As my life progressed and I read the Bible more I started to gain a greater understanding of and more respect for David. What really struck me was the heart that David had for God and how he repented when he did something wrong. David truly loved God. Psalm 51 is a good example.

I found myself wanting to be more like David. Not in all areas. I don’t expect I’ll be a King or slay a giant but I hope I can have the love and respect for God that David did and the willingness to repent when I do something wrong in God’s eyes.

As much as I try, I continue to make mistakes. And as a result I continue to ask forgiveness and realize how imperfect I am. If only I could learn to not repeat the same mistakes.

I thank God constantly for Jesus and God’s grace. David is a reminder to me of God’s grace.

********************************************************
In my Bible there is a profile of David which I have printed below.

When we think of David, we think: shepherd. poet, giant killer, king, ancestor of Jesus – in short, one of the greatest men in the Old Testament. But alongside that list stands another: betrayer, liar, adulterer, murderer. The first list gives qualities we all might like to have; the second, qualities that might be true of anyone of us. The Bible makes no effort to hide David’s failures. Yet he is remembered and respected for his heart for God. Knowing how much more we share in David’s failures than in his greatness, we should be curious to find out what made God refer to David as “a man after my own heart” (Acts 13:22).

‘David more than anything else, had an unchangeable belief in the faithful and forgiving nature of God. He was a man who lived with great zest. He sinned many times but he was quick to confess his sins. His confessions were from the heart, and his repentance was genuine. David never took God’s forgiveness lightly or his blessings for granted. In return God never held back from David either his forgiveness or the consequences of his actions. David experienced the joy of forgiveness even when he had to suffer the consequences of his sins.’

‘We tend to get these two reversed. Too often we would rather avoid the consequences than experience forgiveness. Another big difference between us and David is that while he sinned greatly, he did not sin repeatedly. He learned from his mistakes because he accepted the suffering they brought. Often we don’t seem to learn from our mistakes or the consequences that result from those mistakes. What changes would it take for God to find this kind of obedience in you?’



No comments: