Monday, November 10, 2008

Be Interested

Jim Collins, the author of ‘Good to Great’, was a speaker at this year’s Catalyst Conference.

One of Jim’s mentors gave him what he said was good advice.

“It’s better to be interested than interesting.”

Ask yourself, why would someone be interested in you if you don’t take the time to be interested in them?

How do they know that you aren’t interested in them, you ask? They notice that you don’t stop talking about yourself and what interests you.

It’s never too late to change. Your whole life can change if you start to get interested in others. You will have more friends and followers than you ever could have imagined. Your marriage and your relationship with your kids can improve.

If you are or want to be a leader, you can’t afford not to be interested in the people on your team.

1 comment:

Brad Ruggles said...

I was at Catalyst this year and I remember that quote.

I've always tried to be interested in the lives of those around me. There are too many people I talk to who are only interested in talking about themselves. I know how much I love it when someone expresses a genuine interest in me so I try to do that for others.

Thanks for the reminder.