Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Gaining Wisdom


Charles Stanley, Sr. Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Atlanta, has been on radio and TV with his ‘Insight for Living’ program for many years and he has influenced many people for Christ. I had the chance to listen to Stanley when I was going through some tough times a number of years ago.
What caught my attention as I began to listen to him was that Stanley seemed very authentic in his description of the problems he faced and how he trusted God to help him. I liked the way Stanley talked about God (with reverence and respect), the way he talked about how he heard from God (after lying prostate on the floor and pleading with God) and how he prayed.

Stanley has had a great influence on me and encouraged me to want to grow stronger in my faith just as he has. I think this is the essence of Christianity - finding a more mature Christian who can help you grow in your faith. Just like Jesus did with the disciples.
Jesus found 12 disciples and invested all he had in them. Although he spoke at times to thousands he wasn’t impressed by the numbers of people that showed up. But he always wanted to be with His disciples to teach them, train them and to love them. He believed that the 12 would continue His teaching and reach out to others to do the same things. I’ve read that Jesus had no plan B and He had faith in the 12 to do what He taught them.

I have learned a great deal from Charles Stanley. His son Andy has followed in his footsteps and is the Sr. Pastor of the North Point Community Church in Atlanta.

***************

Below is an excerpt from ‘The Charles Stanley Life Principles Bible’

How can I gain wisdom from God?

·         Seek (ask) Him

·         Meditate on God’s Word

·         Obey the principles of Scripture

·         Observe the faithfulness of God

·         Heed Godly counsel

·         Associate with wise people

Charles Stanley
http://www.intouch.org/

No comments: