Sunday, September 23, 2007

Wash Whose Feet?

This wasn’t what Jesus said. This was a comment that someone made, at a meeting I attended, in response to my question about would we be willing to wash each other’s feet.

We are called to be disciples and to show love for each other. The question is how do we do that? When Jesus washed the Disciple’s feet he not only was serving them but he was showing them his love for them.

Many comments were made at this meeting about how hard it is to love people because of their behavior and their attitude.

In washing feet, personal hygiene was brought up. How would we deal with dirty feet, poorly manicured toe nails, other foot related issues and dirty water?

Wow. I don’t remember Jesus talking about any of those things. He sure saw people differently than we do. We see people with foot problems but Jesus sees people to love.

Are some or all of us incapable of washing other’s feet? Of showing them love?

Hey I can say thank you and smile at somebody when they are taking my money at the checkout counter. Isn’t that enough? Apparently not.

Other comments were made by people at the meeting who said they would gladly wash the feet of others. That it was an attitude. And some had washed feet previously.

What was explained was how the person who washed feet changed their attitude from being repulsed by dirty feet to realizing that Christ wants us to love and to serve others.

As a result of the change in attitude came better looking and better maintained feet which were easier to wash.

Was this coincidence? I prefer to believe that as we change our hearts to be more like Jesus and we become more willing to follow His teaching we see people differently.

And we begin to do things that we would not have previously done.

1 comment:

Diane Karchner said...

Sometimes I think my faith depends too much on how I feel at the moment. If I feel like serving, I do. If I feel like going the extra mile, I'll be glad to. But that's not what God ever asked of us. He asked to believe, and follow him into his work in this world. Washing feet will probably never be asked of us in this society; but, we could be asked to do something that in our mind today would be just as revolting as dirty, stinky feet are to us today. The question will be whether or not we put our feelings aside, our doubts and disdain aside, and just step out on faith. Just step out...I pray that I am up for the dirty feet when I am asked.