Monday, April 20, 2009

Denominations for $200

What fascinates me is how many people think that only they have the right answer to following Christ or being a Christian. To the point of being Pharisees.

Just this past week I heard that someone was not attending the right Bible Study.

What strikes me is that when Jesus recruited the disciples all He said was 'follow me'. I think if it was important what denomination or group you belonged to or who was your mentor He would have called that out almost immediately.

What if you don’t have the right answer when you get to Heaven and Jesus asks you what denomination you belonged to, or what group you were part of or who was your mentor? So if you don’t get that right you don’t get in?

I think the people who think they are the only ones with the right answers for Christianity may be keeping people away from Jesus. I don't want to have to answer for that one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the realm of possibility, could it have been about the importance of Bible study, not a specific group?

Typically referenced in the evangelical community is the Great Commission.

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

In verse 20 it speaks about teaching them to obey everything I have commanded.

Without being in the Bible, we tend to rely on spiritual leaders, and speakers to do our work. Rather than embark on a journey which has been provided for us in The Word.

Consider the possibility that what you heard may not have been a Pharisee but actually a Berean.

Anonymous said...

I suggest that before you judge a Brother or Sister in Christ it seems important to go to them directly for the fully story...and maybe one or two witnesses to the conversation. It is so easy to let our personal biases about a person lead us to the worst conclusions when maybe there was a misunderstanding.

We need to remember how much grace has been extended to us and from the gratitude we feel extend the benefit of the doubt to another Christian. Good luck finding the truth.