Saturday, December 25, 2010

What kind of letter would you hope to receive?

Below is an interesting letter to a Dad from his daughter reprinted from the 12/24/10 Wall Street Journal.

After reading this letter I wondered what type of letter would I hope to get from my son or my daughter when they turn 45. Hopefully it would deal with the things that we taught them that have benefited them in some way. I'm sure we may have messed up on some things and hope that the good outweighs the untaught or the overlooked.

You should know that we have not provided the type of education identified in the letter for our kids and we are not capable of fulfilling the requests that are made. Just think of the things that you can provide based on your income.

This letter identifies one type of giving and that is the giving of money or material things that most people desire. Things that they think will make their lives easier and more satisfying. Things that don't last.

The things that will most benefit our kids are the intangibles, like qualities of character for example, that last a lifetime and beyond.


‘All I Want for Christmas’

Dear Dad,

Can you believe your baby’s almost 45? I can’t believe how the years have flown. It’s all thanks to you. Putting me through Vanderbilt. Sending me to Harvard for an MBA. Buying me a starter home. And look at how it’s paid off, Dad – a great job, a fabulous husband, a lovely son…I’m all grow up! Anyway, here’s what I want from Santa this year.

A Car. I would visit more often if I had some modest conveyance to get to you, for example, a Starfire Pearl Lexus LXII with burled walnut interior accents and a rear-seat entertainment system. Call the Skokie dealership and ask for Patrick at extension 481. (Patrick is out of the office from December 23 – 28, but he said you could call his cell 847-555-4901.) I think I could even join you and Mom for Easter if I had a car! (If out of pearl, get onyx, not black.)

Timmy’s Tuition. Kindergarten costs more than it used to, Dad. You can’t give an enterprising boy a nickel and a stick of gum and then watch him build a multimillion dollar business, like you did. If kids today want to get ahead, they need a serious advantage, and trust me, $40,000 is well spent on giving Timmy that edge.

A Job for Richard. I don’t see why Santa can’t help my husband find a job in your company, Dad. I’ve asked for this Christmas gift before, but Santa didn’t hear me. No one is saying that Richard is the best personal-injury attorney in the world, but neither is he “negligent, obtuse and woefully unprepared” – I don’t care what Mom or the State of Pennsylvania has to say about it.

A Kitchen. I love to cook. But you try cooking for your family in a kitchen without Clive Christian cabinetry and granite counter tops. A new kitchen would motivate me. Just think of what you’d save on restaurants!

And Daddy, to start paying you back for all that you have done for us, I want to invite you and Mom over for Christmas dinner. I should warn you that my culinary skills haven’t improved much since last Christmas – or “mouth Armageddon,” as you joked – so if you wan me to make a reservation at your club, just let me know!

Love,
Julie

No comments: