Sunday, February 10, 2008

Second Chances

While watching American Idol this past week I noticed several things about the competition.

Many contestants have no talent. I can’t sing and even I can recognize that.

Many contestants think they need some kind of gimmick to get chosen. The gimmicks didn’t work.

The contestants who were chosen exhibited more talent than any one person should be allowed to have in my estimation. It was a pleasure listening to these contestants sing.

But what struck me most were the contestants who had auditioned in previous years, were rejected and came back to audition again. They may have suffered humiliation at the hands of Simon but they believed they had the talent and wanted another chance.

They were given that second chance. They were given that chance and what they wanted most was to hear the words, ‘Dog, you’re going to Hollywood’. Idol is all about performance.

When you forgive someone you give them a second chance. I am thankful for forgiveness. I can’t tell you how many times I have done something where I have had to ask another to forgive me. It’s not always easy to ask.

I had to ask forgiveness today for something I said about a friend last week at a meeting. He wasn’t at the meeting and the more I thought about it the more I realized I needed to confess to him and ask his forgiveness. He was more than gracious and told me it was not a problem. He exemplified the love his Savior had taught him.

Sometimes it is harder to forgive, especially when you have been hurt so badly and so intensely that you think you can never forgive the person who hurt you. Some people hold grudges for many years.

We are called to forgive just as our Savior did when He was on the cross, ‘Father forgive them for they know not what they do’. Because of him we have a second chance.

Has someone given you a second chance? Do you need to give someone a second chance? Now is the time to do it. It will make you feel better. Live the way you are called to. Can you offer any examples of forgiveness?

No comments: