Thursday, April 3, 2008

I learned something new today

I went to school today not expecting to learn what I did.

Villanova University in suburban Philadelphia was the location. I was involved in the mentoring program that my employer participates in at the University. We have been providing people to help coach and mentor teams of undergraduate Business students to develop business plans for a competition. The winning team receives funds to help them start their business.

The focus was on ecologically and socially responsible business ideas which could be profit-making or non-profit. Another co-worker and I met with five different teams and asked them questions about their plans as well as provided some answers to their questions. The purpose was to ask them questions which could help them in their research and analysis for the project.

During the discussions it was pointed out the Villanova and many universities are involved in having their campus and facilities become more ‘green’. A guy in one of the groups happened to mention that they use potato forks in the dining hall at the university.

My co-worker and I almost simultaneously said, ‘potato forks’? And the answer was confirmed.

This following piece is from the Star Press in Muncie Indiana and references the San Francisco Call Chronicle:

‘Yes. Some California innovators are finding ways to make compostable and bio-degradable table ware that is truly disposable. Their dinner plates and coffee cups are made from sugar cane residue and forks, spoons and knives are made from a mix of potato starch and soy oil.
To read the story, go to the Chronicle Website and search for "spudware."’

That’s what I learned. How about you? What did you learn?

No comments: