Thursday, May 1, 2008

Proud Parent

When you are raising kids you don’t always see immediate results with what you are trying to teach them or show them. In fact many times my wife and I found ourselves wondering if we were doing the right thing or even if what we did was making a difference.

This has been a difficult year for my wife and her family as her sister developed cancer. She went through treatment, appeared to be recovering, developed more cancer, then more treatment but the cancer couldn’t be stopped. Diane’s sister, Connie, died a little over a week ago.

During that time our son and his wife and our daughter and her fiancé have been actively involved in helping and encouraging the family during this time. They made additional trips (both couples live over a couple hours away) to visit, to run errands, assist with projects and help take care of Connie’s young grandchildren.

When reading Proverbs last Sunday an image came to my mind of our son and daughter and I realized I had experienced what the Bible was saying. When I read the verses I am including daughter along with son.

Prov 27:17
Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart;
then I can answer anyone who treats me with contempt.

Prov 23:15-16
My son, if your heart is wise,
then my heart will be glad;
my inmost being will rejoice
when your lips speak what is right

We are proud of our kids but seeing how they dealt with this whole situation we realize how blessed we are by the type of adults they have become. This is the first close family member who has died during their lifetime and they truly rose to the occasion to help us all.

No comments: