Saturday, June 2, 2012

Knowing God’s Calling

I received an e-mail earlier this week from a friend with the question of knowing when you are called by God. I am reprinting part of that e-mail after making some edits so you get an idea of the context.

I was able to read the piece he referred to but was struck by the lack of inclusion of God in that piece.  We’re talking about God’s calling. My understanding or interpretation is that God want us to do something for Him. So He should be involved.

My response to my friend follows his e-mail.

*************************************************
E-mail from friend:

‘I really enjoyed our conversation last night. One thing that struck me was the idea of being "called" into a specific service for the Lord.  This was not a long discussion but I thought it over after we parted company and I was hoping to get some more insight from you all. 

I read something about being called this week and I don't espouse everything that I read in that piece but it does raise a thought that I have been struggling with for the past three to four months; how do I know what God is "calling" me to do for His Kingdom?

I want to glorify and honor the Lord and in my mind that is done through service to God and to others but how am I to serve?  I have been helping out at church but I have not felt a strong pull in any one particular direction.

So, here it is, how does someone know when God is "calling" them into a specific path of service and obedience to Him?’

************************************************
My Response:

You raise a good question. My experience is that a calling is a leading or a sense of something you should do.

There could be some peace associated with it but I don't know if that is absolutely necessary. I think a lot of it is realizing that something needs to be done and that you have the ability and / or the gifts to do some of it.
The other part I think is having faith and trusting and depending on God. Asking for his help, guidance, direction, etc.

If it doesn't require God to accomplish it then it may not be God calling.

No comments: