Friday, October 29, 2010

Build up noble character

I found the following Taekwondo Tenets (rules) at a local site. Rules can bring structure to a person’s life, help them control their behavior if the rules are consistently followed and can help you obtain a ‘noble character’ as stated below. This is good stuff!

Perhaps we should have everyone in the world take TKD so they can learn better behaviors and treat each other better.

Or you can become a Christian where we are encouraged to live the same way without all of the physical stuff. We learn these things by learning about Jesus and the way he lived. For us it is a choice.

I don't think there is much choice in TKD.

I wonder how many people don’t take TKD because they don’t like the rules? Many most likely take it because they want to learn these things or need help learning them.

Tenets of Taekwondo

Definitions that are in bold are for children younger than 6.

COURTESY (Ye Ui)
Taekwondo-Do students should attempt to practice the following elements of courtesy to build up their noble character and to conduct the training in an orderly manner as well.
1) To promote the spirit of mutual concessions / To agree to disagree
2) To be ashamed of one's vices, and avoid the tempting of others' vices.
3) To be polite to everyone.
4) To encourage the sense of justice and humanity.
5) To distinguish Master from Instructor, Instructor from Student, Elder from Youth, Man from Woman.
6) To behave oneself according to etiquette.
7) To respect others' possessions.
8) To handle matters with fairness and sincerity.
9) To refrain from giving or accepting a gift when in doubt.

INTEGRITY (Yom Chi)
I do not lie to myself or others.
I do not cheat myself or others.
I do not steal from myself or others.

PERSEVERANCE (In Nae)
To pursue your dreams earnestly and strenuously without giving up / To follow through

SELF-CONTROL (Guk Gi)
To be in control of oneself.
I am in control of my feeling.
I am in control of my actions.
I am in control of my thoughts.

INDOMITABLE SPIRIT (Baekjul Boolgool)
To do what is right at all times even when it doesn’t benefit you / To follow through no matter the cost.

No comments: