Thursday, October 28, 2010

We are all teachers

So here’s my premise.

Many people when asked by another person, let’s use the term ‘questioner’, for help with something will look at the current situation or status and begin to solve or propose solutions almost immediately.

It seems like the ‘expert’ doesn’t try to understand what caused the problem but they assume that the ‘questioner’ is ok getting to the current point and if the ‘expert’ just offers some suggestions or solutions then it will fix the problem.

What is helpful for me is for the ‘expert ‘to try to understand what I comprehend to this point, without going into a lot of detail, to make sure I have an understanding of the process for example. This may be considered using a holistic approach.

Granted I have a responsibility in the questions I ask and how I ask them to further my understanding but I think many times the ‘expert’ is trying to solve things in as little time as possible.

As a result maybe I won’t get the understanding that I need to be able to perform this task or process on my own. I think this is or should be the ultimate aim of training and education. And at some point we are all teachers.

No comments: