Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cool Songs

Watching two different college football games tonight I got thinking that a team from each game has a really cool song written that includes the name of their state. My state on the other hand has a not so cool song written that includes its name.

I love the song ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ by Lynyrd Skynyrd which I thought of while watching the Alabama – Penn State game. Sweet Home Alabama is a great sing along song. I also got to thinking about all the other great Skynyrd songs – including ‘Free Bird’ which someone inevitably asks for whenever there is a band playing.

Another song which is cool is Rocky Top which talks about Tennessee. The Tennessee fans at the Oregon - Tennessee game were singing this song in the stands. We used to sing this with a rock band and 10,000 people at the Charlotte Coliseum years ago. Love the chorus – ‘Rocky Top you’ll always be home sweet home to me…’ It was a blast!

The not so cool song about my state is the Pennsylvania Polka. It may have been good 50 years ago but we need an upgrade.

We need some cool lyrics, a catchy tune, and a fast pace. Come on guys you can do this!

No comments: